Languages are the way we communicate globally. Whether it’s looking at the structure of the English language or analysing literary works in depth, the possibilities to explore are endless. Studying English at A Level is a whole new approach compared to studying English at GCSE. By choosing to study Language, Literature or Language/Literature combined, you have the ability to hone your skills and specialise your understanding.
Learning foreign languages are one of the most vital strengths when working or travelling. When studying Spanish you have the ability to develop your speaking, listening and written skills further, as well as your knowledge of Spanish society and culture.
The skills you learn and refine within this department can truly set you apart from others.
- Modern language teachers are native speakers
- External examiners are part of the team who pass on their expertise
- Modern, specialist language rooms
- Trips to China, France and Spain
- Theatre visits including The Crucible and foreign language cinema
- Visiting speakers from universities, including renowned linguists, writers and former students
- Only college outside London to work with Arts Emergency - a charity providing students with access to Arts and Humanities professionals
- Enrichment including Creative Writing, Japanese Language and Culture, Italian
- University visits to Manchester and Huddersfield
- Support and extension classes
Your English and Languages Experience