Last year, 85% of students who took the EPQ achieved high grades (A*, A or B)
The EPQ is an additional qualification, equivalent to 1 AS Level, that allows you to develop your personal interest in a topic or area that interests you. Completing the EPQ demonstrates your ability to carry out independent research and a level of commitment that universities and employers look for. Students who complete the EPQ are often at a distinct advantage in their Personal Statements and university interviews and can help you to stand out. The qualification also attracts UCAS points.
Choosing to complete an EPQ gives you the opportunity to:
- learn more about an area that interests you
- research a subject that might not be available through other qualifications
- develop independent research and project management skills
- develop skills that will help alongside your A levels
- achieve more UCAS points at level 3
- learn skills that will help in higher education or the workplace
This course is offered to students towards the end of their first year ready to start in the second year of college. The EPQ is taught via tutorial meetings in small groups and all students are assigned a mentor who monitors your progress through the research, writing and presentation of your final project. During tutorials students share ideas, reflect upon their background reading and discuss key ideas.